Four Winds-Minnewaukan Take Weekend Tourney

J. Reed Anderson, DLJ GM
Bearcats Ian Knutson and Gavin Miller go up for a rebound in an earlier game.

The Four Winds-Minnewaukan Indians took the Ramsey County Invitational Tournament this past weekend, beating the North Star Bearcats.The games began Thursday, and the championship game was late Saturday afternoon.

The Rolette-Wolford Comets took on the Benson County Wildcats in the consolation game at 4 p.m.Turnovers killed the Comets, and the Wildcats took all of them to the hoop.And the Wildcats Blayne Anderson was hot from the arc.

The Comets did hold a very early first quarter lead, but mistakes cost them, giving the Wildcats a lead they only extended.

The Wildcats dominated for three quarters, maintaining a thirteen- to fifteen-point lead. The Comets began to make a move near the end of the third, cutting the Wildcat lead to ten, 45-35.

Comet Evan Turney cut the lead to seven with a three to start the fourth.Then a Comet steal and a foul put Turney at the line and he pulled the Comets within four, 45-41.The Comet defense started to show life and they forced Wildcat turnovers that the Comets turned into points.Comet Gabe Leonard got them within three, the closest the Comets had been since the first quarter.

But the Wildcats always had someone breaking down court each time the Comets put up the ball and the Wildcat defense came back and with fastbreaks sent the lead back to ten with two minutes left in the game.Jake Boucher got a two-and-one and reduced the gap to seven, but late fouling kept putting Keaton Nelson at the line, and he went six for six.The final score for third place was Wildcats 66, Comets 53.

The championship game started with the feel and look of a real barn burner.The first quarter was fast, and the Indians were a little better under the boards, but the Bearcats were a little quicker on defense, and getting through to the paint in the low post.The first quarter ended with the Indians 15, the Bearcats 14.

In the second quarter the Indians came alive forcing turnovers and taking them to the house.The Indians went on a 16-8 run in the second quarter.The Bearcats hurried shots, and quit pushing into the low post.And they gave up the boards.The half ended with the Indians up 31-22.

The Indians controlled it all—the ball, the boards, the court, the pace, even the second half.They moved the ball at will, stole it at will, and Indian Douglas Yankton, in his first game back since last season, hit threes at will.Frank Gourd did get sent to the bench with his fourth foul, picked up as a technical debating his third foul.Finally, at about the 1:20 mark, both teams pulled their starters.

The Indians won the championship game 58-35.

Indian Doug Yankton led all scorers in the championship game with nineteen points, and was the only Indian in double digits.He went deep from the arc five times.Keaton Kvilvang had thirteen points, and was the only Bearcat in double digits.Kvilvang also won the tournament MVP award.