Defendant guilty on two, arrested on third count of disorderly conduct

Staff Writer
Devils Lake Journal
Troy Fehn

Troy Fehn, 42, of Devils Lake, was found guilty of two counts of disorderly conduct stemming from separate incidents, as well as one count of driving a taxi without a permit.

Appearing before Municipal Court Judge Peter Halbach, Fehn represented himself after failing to secure counsel. Tracy Howard, owner of A-1 Taxi and Fehn's former girlfriend, was the first to take the witness stand on one of the two disorderly conduct charges. Howard testified that Fehn tried to "destroy her business" via unspecified threats to her and several of her drivers.

Howard also testified that Fehn threatened to call social services involving her son as a part of their ongoing dispute. Howard also said that she secured a temporary restraining order on Fehn, later dropping it in order to make peace with him.

Halbach ultimately found Fehn guilty on the disorderly conduct charge related to his interactions with Howard due to his threat to call social services, which Halbach deemed to be "crossing the line."

The second disorderly conduct charge was the result of an interaction between Fehn and A-1 taxi driver Wesley Hall, who testified that Fehn attempted to run him off the road on 6th St. approaching College Dr. Hall also claimed that Fehn shined a spotlight into his vehicle during the incident. Halbach found Hall's testimony compelling enough to find Fehn guilty of the second charge of disorderly conduct due to his determination that Fehn had threatened Hall's safety.

Fehn was also found guilty on the charge that he operated a taxi without a permit. Halbach ordered Fehn to have no contact with Howard and fined him a total of $2,250 for the three infractions. All but $750 of the fines were suspended, and Fehn was also ordered not to operate a taxi in the city until petitioning the judge and securing a proper permit.

Fehn was visibly upset when leaving the police station, and he slammed the door against a heater during his exit. Police Chief Keith Schroeder ordered him to stop, but Fehn continued down the walkway outside of the entrance to the station. Schroeder then ordered three of his officers to detain Fehn, who was arrested for disorderly conduct. Formal charges are pending.

Other cases that came before Judge Halbach Tuesday included a DUI in which the accused caused an accident with a minor injury; after the accident he was found to be three times over the legal blood alcohol content when tested. Two simple assault cases were also heard, one of which featured a defendant who was found guilty of assaulting his father, who he called to the stand while serving as his own counsel. None of the cases resulted in jail time for the defendants.