Dr. Thomas Moore Webster, 80, died early on the morning of Feb. 7, 2019, at Laughlin Memorial Hospital in Greeneville, Tennessee.

Dr. Thomas Moore Webster, 80, died early on the morning of Feb. 7, 2019, at Laughlin Memorial Hospital in Greeneville, Tennessee. He is survived by; his wife of 53 years, Sarah Webster; a sister, Patsy Benedict; a brother, Robert Webster; his daughter, son-in-law and grandson, Lucy, Andrew and Carson Archie; and his son, daughter-in-law and grandson, Jesse, Jennifer and Lyle Webster. Born Nov. 1, 1938, in Washington, D.C. to Lyle Webster of Webster, ND, and Lucy Haile Overbey of Chatham, VA. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts, University of Virginia, 1960, where he was a proud member of the Raven Society. He went on to receive his Doctor of Medicine at George Washington University, 1964. In Aug. 1965, he married the love of his life, Sarah Ellen Tredway, in Chatham and they set off on their adventure in life together. He served his country as a major in the Army Medic Corps, 10th Special Forces Group Airborne, Bad Tolz Germany, 1966, and in an Arabic translator detachment in the Six Days War. His medical career then carried the couple and their two children to Edinburgh, Scotland, to practice joint surgery at Princess Margaret Rose Orthopedic Hospital and then to general orthopedic practice in Walla Walla, Wash. The Webster Family moved to Greeneville in 1975, when friend Dr. Walter Chapman invited Dr. Webster to join in practice at the The Greeneville Orthopedic Clinic. These two shared emergency on-call duty for the surrounding area every other night and weekends for years. Through 22 years at the clinic and then into retirement, he was supported by, and kept organized by, a loving, caring team of staff that felt like family. Dr. Webster found great joy in helping others in his profession as an orthopedic surgeon and caring for his patients, with a focus on the highest level of practice. Always keeping abreast of the latest research and techniques available, he maintained a fascination with the wonders of medicine that continued over the years, even into retirement. He was active in sports medicine for years in the community as the game-day doctor for South Greene High School football and volunteered as a research test subject to determine oxygen effects and stress while running on the high elevation slopes of Mt. Everest. He enjoyed long distance marathon running (back in the ‘70s before it was cool), classical music on Saturdays, great food and venturing out on waterfowl hunting trips around the country with friends and family. It was these hunting trips that reconnected him with the Lake Region, where for many years he made a fall trip to visit family and hunt the prairie pothole country that his father had so often talked about. He was so moved by the area and its history that he and Mrs. Webster eventually made it a goal to protect and renovate the 1900’s era Schoolhouse in Webster; preserving a lasting tribute to the significance that education held for pioneer families and at the same time honoring his father; who went on from the four-room prairie school house to Columbia University and then to serve as assistant secretary to agriculture in the Eisenhower administration. Most recently he found the greatest joy in his life in keeping up with the latest news from his two grandsons. Dr. Webster was a friend to many in the community and he shared good jokes, kind words and smiles every day. He was a loving husband, caring father and grandfather and kept strong ties with a large family group. He loved the community, and they loved him back. Never one to complain, always determined and quick to jump up with a strong heart full of optimism if he fell in a race; he has now crossed the finish line of life victorious and is waiting on the rest of his family. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to donor’s choice of the Diabetes Foundation, donations.diabetes.org; or Metropolitan Opera, Metopera.org.