The project to replace the railroad bridge and the west viaduct on College Drive has progressed the past two years, even through the winter months.

The project to replace the railroad bridge and the west viaduct on College Drive has progressed the past two years, even through the winter months.

It began in August of 2017. According to Mike Grafsgaard, Devils Lake City Engineer, the work is continuing and should be completed towards the end of October if all goes as planned. He reported at Monday’s commission meeting that there will be some work to finish next year, but the majority of the viaduct replacement will be completed by Nov. 1 of this year. Into July area residents should see the removal of Burlington Northern railroad tracks of the temporary spur line, created to keep the trains moving through the city during construction. It has been a complex project that cost an estimated $16.7M. Of that amount the city is responsible for 10 percent with the remaining 90 percent is covered by the ND Department of Transportation (NDDOT) and Burlington Northern, which owns the bridge and railway tracks.

This was the final Devils Lake City Commission meeting for commissioners Craig Stromme and Rick Morse. Stromme chose not to run for re-election and Morse was not re-elected in the June 12 election. Mayor Dick Johnson expressed his appreciation for their years of service to the community thanking Commissioner Craig Stromme towards the end of the meeting. Commissioner Rick Morse was not present at Monday’s meeting. The newly elected members of the Devils Lake City Commission, Rob Hach and Jack Volk will be sworn in at a special session planned at 12 p.m. (Noon) on Tuesday, June 26 in the City Offices.

Other business: Three bids were opened for LED lights and were referred to Chief Jim Moe for his review and recommendation.

Paula Vistad talked about plans for the park on the former Firestone property and asked the city to waive the fee for watering as they are trying to get grass and trees planted in that space. The commission voted to waive those fees.

Jack Volk gave an update to the commission on the Veterans Ride program. He said there were 18 vets signed up to ride the city transport bus and they had used it 253 times since the project began. Volk thanked the commissioners for their support of this program.

A representative from the Lake Region Heritage Center, Deb Schlenker, explained what was happening at the museum. She explained that with the loss of their full-time director and part time historian the board had made some decisions to change how the heritage center was run and utilized in the community.

The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Devils Lake City Commission is Monday, July 2, 5:30 p.m. in the City Offices.