NOTE: “What’s Happening” is published each week in the Journal according to available space. Deadline for submissions is Wednesday at noon. Submissions can be faxed to (701) 662-3115; mailed to: DL Journal, PO Box 1200, Devils Lake, ND 58301; or e-mailed to: email@example.com. Submissions will not be taken over the telephone.
- AUGUST 10
- Dance will be held at the Rugby Eagles from 8 p.m. to midnight with music from Leroy Kruger. Lunch will be served; everyone welcome.
- AUGUST 12
- Flea Market will be held in the parking lot at Mark’s Greenhouse from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- AUGUST 14
- Knights of Columbus Community Picnic will be held at Roosevelt Park enclosed pavilion from 5-7 p.m. Serving burgers, brats and hot dogs; Elks Band performs at 7 p.m. Free will offering.
- Lake Region Pioneer Daughters will meet at 2 p.m. at Park Place I. Marla Hogenson will have a program on her grandfather.
- AUGUST 15
- Awakening Meeting with Pastor Timothy Stuen will be held at the LRSC Auditorium at 7 p.m. A former bull rider, Stuen’s preaching is humorous and enlightening. For more information, call (701) 262-4446.
- AUGUST 18
- Jenn Swanson Benefit Steak Fry will be held from 4-9 p.m. at Roosevelt Park, with Rock Fest concert from 7 p.m. to midnight. Proceeds to be used for Swanson, a mother of five who is fighting her third battle with breast cancer.
- 1st Annual Shoot for a Cure will be held at the Devils Lake Shooting Range from 12:30-5 p.m. (registration at noon). Rain or shine; register with Sandi at 662-1543. Sponsored by LRSC Relay for Life team.
- AUGUST 21
- Pie & Ice Cream Social will be held at the Senior Center from 1:30-3 p.m. to introduce the new Senior Center director, Cathy Saele-Odendaal. All proceeds will be used to support Senior Meals program.
- AUGUST 23
- AARP Driver Safety Course will be offered at the RSVP Office from 1-5 p.m. Call 662-6767 to register or for more information.
- AUGUST 10
- RUGBY — Dance Night will be held at the Rugby Eagles from 8 p.m. to midnight, with music by Leroy Kruger. Lunch served; everyone welcome.
- AUGUST 11-12
- EGELAND — Annual Egeland Days will include Bingo at 3 p.m., chicken & corn feed at 5 p.m. and dance with DJ at 8 p.m. on Saturday. Sunday’s events include church service at 11 a.m., potluck picnic at noon in the park and ice cream social with entertainment at Senior Center from 1:30-4 p.m.
Page 2 of 4 -
- AUGUST 12
- PARK RIVER — Camp Worship Day will include public picnic at 5:30 p.m. and worship at 7 p.m. in the chapel, led by the PRBC staff.
- AUGUST 13
- HARVEY — Christian Womens Club of Harvey and Surrounding Area will hold a luncheon at noon at the Presentation Center. Will include speaker, music and special feature, “In home care.” For reservations, call Kathy at (701) 324-4728.
- AUGUST 14
- TOLNA — Awakening Meeting with Pastor Timothy Stuen will be held at the LRSC Auditorium at 7 p.m. A former bull rider, Stuen’s preaching is humorous and enlightening. For more information, call (701) 262-4446.
- AUGUST 19
- LAKOTA _ Open House at Wamduska Square: Home of the One Room Country Schools, 10 miles south of Lakota on Highway 1. Step back in time with retired teachers, students, stories, songs, fellowship and refreshments.
- AUGUST 26
- PARK RIVER — 37th Annual Threshing Show will include flea market, live music, breakfast from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., free corn feed after the show. Live demonstrations include: Fry bread, threshing, saw mill, blacksmith and free potato picking.
Cando Farmers Market will be held Thursdays from 5-6:30 p.m., from July 12-Sept. 27, at the main shelter at the Cando City Park. For more information contact Joleen at (701) 968-3035.
Benson County Public Transportation travels to Bismarck on the first Wednesday and third Friday of each month; to Minot on the first Friday and third Wednesday of each month; to Grand Forks on the second Wednesday andfourth Friday; and to Fargo on the fourth Wednesday of the month. Based out of Maddock, the bus travels to Rugby, Devils Lake, Harvey and New Rockford each week, call if you’d like to be picked up along the way, (701) 438-2191 or 1-888-525-2104.
The Nelson County Public Transit will offer rides on the following days: In Nelson County on Mondays, to Devils Lake on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, to Grand Forks on Wednesdays and to Fargo every third Friday. Call (701) 322-5557 or 1-800-747-4782.
Rides to Grand Forks are provided by Devils Lake Transit on the second Tuesday, third Wednesday and fourth Thursday of each month. Call 662-5061 to schedule a ride or for more information.
Beginning Experience (BE), a nondenominational support group for those separated, divorced or widowed, meets Mondays at 6:30 p.m. at the United Methodist Church Basement. For more information, call Gloria at (701) 266-5467, Karen at (701) 644-2721 or Deb at (701) 262-4997.
Devils Lake Alcoholics Anonymous meetings will be held at the following locations:
Monday: 8 p.m. closed meeting, St. Olaf Lutheran Church, front door, upstairs
Page 3 of 4 - Tuesday & Thursday: 8 p.m. closed meeting, above Champions
Friday: 8 p.m. closed meeting, St. Olaf Lutheran Church, alley door, basement; Open meeting on last Friday of the month; District meeting on first Friday of the month
Saturday: 8 p.m. open meeting, United Methodist Church
Alcoholics Anonymous meetings will be held at the following locations:
Minnewaukan/Sheyenne: Sunday at 7 p.m., VFW in Sheyenne, open meeting
New Rockford: Monday at 8 p.m. at First Lutheran Church, open meeting
Fort Totten: Tuesday at 7 p.m. in College Library (first door after brown building), closed meeting
Fessenden: Tuesday at 8 p.m. at Fessenden First Lutheran Church, closed meeting
Lakota: Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Lakota Lutheran Church (north door), open meeting
McVille: Thursday at 8 p.m. at McVille Lutheran Church, closed meetings except first Thursday of month
Cando: Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Cando Lutheran Church (Fellowship Room), open meeting
Al Anon meetings are held at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and 8 p.m. on Fridays at St. Olaf Church, front door, upstairs. For families and friends whose lives have been affected by alcoholism.
NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meets Mondays at 8 p.m. above Champions. Bring an NA Big Book. For more information, call (701) 381-9954.
Mondays and Thursdays Gamblers Anonymous meetings at 7 p.m. at Our Saviors Church.
Alzheimer’s Disease/Dementia Support Group will meet at United Methodist Church, 601 5th St. NE at 10 a.m. on the third Tuesday of the month. For more information, call Pastor David Birkeland at 662-2873.
Bariatric Support Group for individuals who have had a bariatric surgery is meeting the first and third Tuesday of each month from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at Blooming Prairie Assessment & Therapy Center (211 4th St. NE, Suite 4, Devils Lake). Free and open to the public; no registration required. For more information, call 662-8255.
NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness), a support group for individuals with a diagnosed mental illness, meets the last Thursday of each month from 6:30-8 p.m. at Blooming Prairie Assessment & Therapy Center (211 4th St. NE, Suite 4, in the 20/20 Eyecare building). There will be no meetings in February and March. Free and open to the public; no registration required. For more information, call Kari at 662-8255 or 662-9846.
Senior Swimming will be held at the N.D. School for the Deaf on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays through May 2012. Water exercise from 10-11 a.m. and general swim from 11 a.m. to noon. Preregistration required, call Senior Center at 662-5061.
Quilting will be held at the Concordia Lutheran Church in Edmore on the first, third and fourth Mondays in October. Beginners welcome; contact Dorothy Johnson for more information.
Page 4 of 4 - Live, Laugh and Learn breast cancer support group, meets the second Saturday of each month (Sept.-May) at 10 a.m. in the lower level of the Great Northern Building. For more information, call Lisa at 662-7220.
Business and Professional Women (BPW) meets the third Tuesday of every month at The Old Main from 11:30-12:30 p.m. New members welcome any time! For more information, call Michel at 662-8636.
The Devils Lake branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) meets the fourth Thursday of each month at varying locations. Open to both men and women with an associate degree or higher. Contact Branch President Brenda Langerud at 662-3569 or visit the AAUW website at www.aauw.org.
Crofton Odd Fellows Lodge #3 meets every Wednesday.
The Prayer Shawl Knitting and Crocheting Group meets on the second & fourth Tuesday of each month at 10 a.m. at the Westminster Presbyterian Church-501 5th Street. Everyone is welcome. For more information call Cori at 662-3058.
Lake Region Heritage Center meets the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. at the Old Post Office.
Lake Region Community Chorus meets every Monday at 7 p.m. at LRSC, Room 21. Everyone welcome; questions, call 662-2284.
Mom’s Chat, a time for homeschool moms to share ideas and support, will meet the fourth Monday of each month (except December) at 7 p.m. at the Pizza Ranch.
Beginning Experience, a nondenominational support group for widowed, separated or divorced, will meet at United Methodist Church at 6:30 p.m. (Sessions started Oct. 12). For more information, contact Gloria at 266-5467; Karen at 644-2721; or Marlys at 662-8700.